Cheddar Bacon Weenies
- 1 14 – 16 ounce package beef cocktail wieners
- 12 – 16 slices of bacon, cut crosswise into thirds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup beer
- 1/2 16 ounce jar (about 3/4 cup)cheddar pasta sauce or one 10.75-ounce can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
The day before::
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Tightly wrap each cocktail wiener in a piece of bacon; secure with a wooden toothpick. Place in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is brown and slightly crisp. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove and discard toothpicks. Place wieners in a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in beer, pasta sauce, hot pepper sauce, and chili powder. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
3. Transfer cocktail wieners and sauce mixture to a 1 1/2-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Cover and reheat on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until heated through.
4. Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep cocktail wieners warm on warm-heat setting.
*We grabbed this recipe from a Better Homes and Garden magazine a couple of season ago :)